Tuesday 7 January 2014

Homebrew Review - East India Porter

Happy New Year to one and all.

I had planned to brew my first beer of 2014 this week, but having put my back out last weekend, that first batch of the new year will have to wait a week or two. It's struggle just to sit and write, so I'll keep this one short and sweet.

I brewed this beer back in August and the recipe can be found here.

Regular readers and friends might know that my everyday preference is for pale beers, but that's not to say I don't enjoy the odd dark one. I have brewed a Fuller's Porter in the past, but this was my first crack at a stronger one.

The beer pours liquorice black with a light tan head. Although I primed these bottles in the same way as all my other brews, carbonation could be better. Only a small head forms, but it does hang around and laces the glass on the way down.

Bottle conditioned Porter

Aroma is much as you might expect; coffee and molasses with slight herbal notes from the hops. Taste is very similar with plenty of chocolate and coffee, backed up by a whack of hop bitterness. It's probably more bitter than you might expect for a porter, but not massively so. There's also some acidity from the roast malts.

It's very drinkable for its gravity (OG measured at 1.062) and has been well received by friends who appreciate dark beers, although it hasn't convinced me that I ought to be brewing more of these.

There are no discernible off favours and, all in all, it's a good beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment